Monday, November 19, 2007

Who's The Loyal One?



The idea of loyalty is common throughout the Ramayana, demonstrated in a variety of different characters. We discussed in class who would be the most loyal character in the story and the debate was down to either Sita or Rama. This sparked a thought in my mind: who would be the most loyal person in my life?

From a young age, I was told that my family would always be there to support me. When the rest of the world turned their backs on me, I knew that there was always a hug and a kiss waiting for me at home. However, this did not convince me. Purely words do not account for the days and weeks and years of experience that many go through to gain their current understanding of the world. In elementary school, I had one best friend. Her name was Caroline Weidemann and we were inseparable. We spent days and nights together, playing on the playground, having slumber parties, going to the stores with our moms. We loved each other and wanted to spend as much time together as we could.

At that age, family was extremely important. I really cared about Caroline, but in the end, my family came first. When I moved to San Antonio, I missed her desperately. We would talk daily, and I would tell her all about my new life in Texas, which was far different from my life in Louisiana. She finally came to visit over Christmas break, and as much as things were wonderful before, they were entirely different now. The connection we once had was lost, our ideas and opinions changed, new friends had been woven into our lives and the old friendship had been forgotten in a sense. I was devastated. I wished for things to be back to the way they were. It was then that I went to my family for comfort and support. They assured me that the new friends I was sure to make in Texas would become more to me than Caroline was. And I trusted them.

Years later, after forming friendships with a group of 4 girls, Kellie, Keriann, Sara and Amanda, I began having “girl drama” with them. Kellie, who I had previously been very close to, was finding ways to leave me out of group activities and talk about me to my other friends. I tried “to remedy the situation” (1078), but the agonizing pain I felt from being left out continued. Once again, I went to my parents and talked to them about it. For a while, I would come home daily, upset and hurt by the things my “friends” would say to me or talk about. I couldn’t imagine how girls could be so cruel and why they would act that way to me.

I knew that “it was [their] duty” (1058) to take care of me and provide the necessary means for me to survive, but my parents went beyond the requirements of parental duty. They were mentors, friends, counselors, and cared for me like no one else had ever done. Through these times of struggle, as well as many others, I learned that my parents really are the most loyal human beings in my life, my pillars of strength, by source of hope that things will get better. With Thanksgiving just around the corner, we all find ourselves wondering what we are thankful for. I have a wonderful life, great friends, an abundance of opportunities and resources to be successful in whatever I take on. On top of this, I have the best, most loyal family and parents in the entire world! And for that, I am thankful.

No comments: